5G technology is here, and what we are about to witness is Qualcomm’s first 5G modem named as Snapdragon X50. 5G will reshape the way we use mobile devices, deliver self-driving cars and smart cities, and even the way get content delivered to our homes.
Qualcomm has shown incredible leadership in 5G. The company showed significant strength in 3G and even more in 4G and doesn’t look to be letting up anytime soon.
Worlds’ first 5G Modem
“You will be able to download 1GB in 3 seconds,” said Qualcomm on their release of Snapdragon X50. The Snapdragon X50 5G modem is a remarkable milestone in and of itself. But its capabilities are even more impressive. It’s engineered to support unprecedented download speeds of up to 5Gbps.
The Snapdragon X50 5G modem is expected to begin sampling in the second half of 2017, and the first products integrating it are expected to surface throughout 2018.
Snapdragon X50 main points
1. X50 pairs with next-gen Snapdragon 800 with X16 for 4G and 5G.
2. Qualcomm isn’t alone in 5G development; they do have competition from Intel and Samsung Electronics who are actively developing their own 5G technologies.
3. Snapdragon X50 5G modem is capable of download speeds of up to 5 Gbps which is 5x faster than the fastest 4G modem, which also happens to be a Qualcomm modem, the Snapdragon X16.
4. The Snapdragon X50 supports 28 GHz mmWave spectrum initially, the very high frequency, short wavelength kind of radio communication that has been associated with 5G.
5. The Snapdragon X50 5G modem relies on multi-element antenna arrays.
Well, technology is on its run and so are we…
Featured image source: Qualcomm