Facts about Linux? How many of it do you know? The depth of Linux is so deep that each and every time you dig in you get to know something entirely new. Linux is open to thousands of developers worldwide for improvisation and is also among the top choices of the developers.
Here are some facts about Linux that will surely make you want to dig deep into it.
1. Linux ain’t any OS, actually, it’s a kernel. GNU Linux is the OS.
2. Linux kernel was written, by a 21-year-old guy as a part of his hobby. His name is LINUS TORVALDS.
3. The first Linux kernel occupied only 65 KB.
4. Linux kernel had more than 18 million lines of source code in its 3.18 version in 2015 and the rate of improvements in it is about 1300 changes per week.
5. The Department of Defence in the US uses Linux. The Red Hat Linux runs the nuclear submarines of the US.
6. Microsoft Windows and the Linux kernel can be used side by side on the same computer using a software called Cooperative Linux (coLinux).
7. The Scientific Linux controls the particle accelerator at CERN.
8. Visual effects of Titanic and Avatar were developed in 3D applications on Linux platform using FOSS software.