“HTML” or Hypertext Markup Language is a programming language that you all might be aware of. This language is used to create the base of beautiful websites and is the reason why it is still surviving in the programming market.
All the website on the internet is made up of HTML. Though HTML was only for developing User interface of websites, its powers are now immensely grown. With every update, HTML becomes more powerful and the need for other secondary languages such as JS and PHP decreases.
Now, do you know the difference between HTML and HTML5? An upgraded version? or something better than the previous one? What is it?
Difference between HTML and HTML5 is a popular doubt for many beginners. HTML5 is the latest updated version of HTML developed in 2014. This was a major update in the HTML language.
So here I have compiled 9 major difference between HTML and HTML5 which will clear your concept on the same.
1. Integration of video and audio into the language’s specifications is one the most noteworthy difference between HTML and HTML5. HTML5 comes with tags for adding audio and video into the webpage.
Seeing the growing emergence of the multimedia elements, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has introduced custom tags for the same in HTML5 which was previously not present in HTML.
Here is the example of how video can now be integrated into a web page by HTML5.
<video width="300" height="260" controls> <source src="video.mp4" type="video/mp4"> <source src="video.ogg" type="video/ogg"> Your browser does not support the video tag. </video>
<canvas> tag is introduced in HTML5 for creating the graphics container.
Previously when scripts were made to execute on the HTML page, then that page becomes unresponsive till the execution of the script ends. This problem is ended after the introduction of JS Web worker API in HTML5.
4. WebSockets are available in HTML5. WebSockets are communication sockets which are used in full duplex connection between a server and client on a single TCP channel.
HTML5 introduces the concept of WebSockets in its own language only, thus eliminating the need of JS or PHP to include this functionality.
5. Before HTML5, for storing data one need to implement cookies. Data from cookies then have to be made accessible by the web pages. But in HTML5, Web pages can now store data locally on the user’s browser, which eliminates the need for HTTP cookies, therefore faster and more secure delivery of contents.
6. New input attributes including email, URL, dates, times charset, async, ping. Also, new APIs that offer offline caching, drag-and-drop support.
Also, new APIs that offer offline caching, drag-and-drop support.
7. MathML is introduced in HTML5. By mathML simple math, calculations can be done via HTML. IT eliminated the need of using the scripting language for doing mathematical calculation, hence improving run time of the web page.
<math> tag is introduced for the same.
8. Error handling was introduced in HTML5 with support for even more number of web applications.
9. HTML5 makes mobile support easier for web developers which were one of the major headaches for them earlier. Responsiveness is introduced and HTML5 can now be used to develop mobile applications. Android and iOS apps can be implemented in HTML5 along with the support of other utilities.
The scope of the language increased drastically in HTML5. Instead of just a hypertext language, HTML5 supports many features which were done by scripting languages previously.