On 21st of November, the much awaited moment finally comes when the Agra to Lucknow expressway was inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh CM. This is the India’s longest expressway after suppressing the 165km long Yamuna expressway. This is a dream come true for many Indians as it is a major development in the road sector. A big project should be inaugurated in a different manner and this is the same policy followed for the inauguration and 6 fighter jets were touched down for the opening of it. This is cool.
Lets dive deep into some facts about this India’s longest expressway:
1. It is the India’s longest expressway covering a length of 300 km.
2. It is completed in a record time of 23 months.
3. It will reduce the time journey from Agra to Lucknow to almost half reducing it by 5-6 hours.
4. Fighter jets perform simulated landings on the expressway on the inauguration. This is the first for any road launch.
5. The cost of this project was expected to be ₹15,000 crore but was completed in only ₹13,200 crore. Probably for the first time in India.
6. The Expressway will carry all public amenities viz. under passes, service roads, provision for green belt, rest houses, petrol pumps, service centres, restaurants and four agricultural mandis for milk, potatoes, grains, fruits and vegetables.
7. This expressway will be connected to Yamuna Expressway through the under-construction Agra Ring Road, and thus providing an express link between Greater Noida, NCR to Lucknow via Agra.
8. Initially, No developers bid for this 9000 crore rupees project on a “build, own, operate and transfer” basis.
9. This expressway was constructed in 5 sections and the development projects were given to 5 different companies who work simultaneously to build this marvel in 23 months.
10. A dedicated 2 km stretch has been built for war-like emergencies on the expressway.
Featured Image source: IndianExpress